History and evolution of our school from 1960’s to the present time.
At the commencement of the 1960s decade there were six schools within the parish of Kiltubrid (Cill Tiobraid). This was a time of great change in Ireland and of course, this applied equally to education policy. The place of the small local school in rural Ireland was set to change significantly and this was reflected in Kiltubrid where by 1978 this number was reduced to just one, which we know today as St Bridget’s National School.
- The first of these to close was Rossy National School in 1967 and Master Boyle was the last principal of the school.
- Kilclare National School closed three years later in 1970; the principal at that time was Mrs Hopkins.
- Just two years later, in 1972, Crummy National School closed. The principal of the school, Ms Alice Moran took up the position of principal in Keshcarrigan National School.
- Aughacashel school closed its doors in 1974 and the principal, Ms Marie Lee was assigned to Keshcarrigan school.
- Keshcarrigan NS was vacated in 1969 and Mr Anselm Reynolds was the principal at the time. The existing Vocational School became utilised as the primary school until its closure in turn in 1978.
- Liscarbin National School also closed in 1978
The remaining staff in Keshcarrigan and Liscarbin National school took up posts in the newly built St Bridget’s National School. These included Mrs Kay Mc Govern, Mrs Mary McKiernan, Mrs Alice Moran, Mrs Marie Lee and Mrs Patricia McManus. The pupils, likewise, all moved to St Brigid’s school.
The site for the St Brigid’s school had been originally donated to the parish by the Reynolds family many years before. Previously there was a small chapel built with wattled walls and a thatched roof on part of the grounds, which had served the people of the parish for at least a generation.
St Brigid’s National School opened its doors in September 1978 and was officially opened on May 15th1979 by Mr Colm S Barnes, Inspector of the Department of Education. It was blessed by Bishop Cathal Daly.
Over the years, two welcome extensions were added to the school to meet the changing needs and growing numbers of the school population. Initially, in 2007, an infant classroom, a general purpose hall, two learning support rooms and two offices were provided. A further growth in numbers necessitated the construction of another classroom and a new staffroom which were completed in 2015
There have been three principals of the school to the present time. Mrs Kay Mc Govern was appointed as the first principal of the new school. In 1994, Mrs Marie Lee became principal until her retirement in August 1998 when she was succeeded as principal by Angela White who was appointed as principal in 1998.